Wednesday, February 09, 2005

stolen from my mom's email

My mom has stayed home and raised children, her own, other peoples, and helping with her grandkids since 1955! She has CONTINUOUSLY had a young person in her home, attending public school in our county since my sister started kindergarten in 1961. She worked pre-kids, and she worked a few times over the years, but not for more than a couple years at a time, and always with a schedule that didn't prevent her from being there for all of us (approximately 15 kids) at our activities, etc. She has NEVER had a job that required use of a computer, she knew NOTHING when she bought one, so like many other people with her background... I had to set up her email, therefore, I know the password - which she is perfectly happy with, I get calls "Can you log into my email and print out those pictures that cousin so and so just sent" "can you get in my email and figure out why I can't open that attachment", etc. She's not dumb, far from it, she has a college degree, and a lot of COMMON SENSE (her degree is in psychology and her father said, "well what do you want to do that for, it's just horse sense and you have more of that than you know what to do with"), and she is a quick study-when she has to know it, you should see her do her thing with her stocks and funds, but if it's easier to have me do it, she will... and she does still have some technophobia, but she's getting better - she bought a bunch of stuff on ebay last week, and even set up her paypal account. Okay so the point of all this rambling is... She left for Montana to visit a dear friend and she told me to go into her email and steal the address for the home where she was visiting if I needed it. So I did. And then I looked around (she really doesn't care, I told her I did and she wanted me to go back and read more). Because she is in CONSTANT contact with all of these "cousins" etc. who are into genealogy and they are all the time sending stuff back and forth to each other (it's a bit of an obsessive hobby if you ask me, and these people have no patience, they want 100 year old pictures that they never had during their 60 year lifetime overnighted cuz they just can't wait, lol) and her emails are therefore very interesting to me. I am very interested in my genealogy, but I don't have time to wash my underwear, I certainly don't have time to be overnighting funeral notices from 1897 to my 14th cousin twice removed in Pahrump, Nevada - so I feed my interest by snooping in my mother's email (and of course hearing her tell me each detail every morning while we have our telephone koffee klatch)... Oh yeah I had an idea for a post when I was reading her email, thats the point...

so, from Mom's email (from some genealogical contact in the UK):

But a more amusing bit in my paper today :
"I was thinking of starting a PhD, but I've realised I can't use my degrees because no one will give me a job."
This was the comment of Bernhard Herzberg who has received his MA degree at the age of 95, which is believed to make him the oldest new graduate in the country.!
The other amusing story. At her funeral in Wales, an unmarried lady directed that her will was to be read by the minister at her funeral. The relatives were staggered to discover that she left all her money of almost £1million to charity and her house & Garden to the local children's hospice. She was never a rich lady until 3 years ago she won almost £1million in the Lottery. She never told anybody about the win and kept it all secret. The relatives must have been a little dissapointed, to say the least.!


well it made me giggle

No comments: